Week 2A: Overview of Social Media


  Nowadays we have so much variety when it comes to what we choose to expose ourselves to on the internet and on a daily basis, those options are expanding. By being in the midst of this ever expanding digital age, there are so many options on how to create our online imagine. When it comes to social media specifically, we have options like Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, Twitter and so many other random platforms in between. We have to ask ourselves what our goal is and what we want to get out of our experience on social media. Some options are going to be a better fit when it comes to personal use and others are going to be better for business.

  Each of the sites previously mentioned are geared towards personal use, but each one of them has their own vibe.  For starters, Facebook is a site where we are able to keep our family in our online loop, but at an arm's length. I’m sure each one of you has an aunt that has posted on your timeline as if she were private messaging you. If you’re like me, Facebook is where you get tagged in pictures by your parents that you make you want to hide under a rock. Facebook leaves me thinking things like,”Come on, really, Dad? Really? Did you have to post that picture of me with my hair looking like I just rolled out of bed and my eyes closed?” Twitter is for your inner monologue and news. Snapchat is for random pictures that you only want your best friends to see and to keep up with daily life. Out of all the mainstream social media platforms, these three are the ones that are better categorized as geared for purely personal use.

  Last, but not least is Instagram, which is my personal favorite. Instagram has the ability to be used on a very intimate personal level, while also allowing you to explore outside your inner circle. With it, you can choose to curate and develop content if you are marketing a business or product, even if that product is yourself. If branding is not your vibe though, you can have fun with it and show pieces of your personal life. Instagram, in my opinion, is the best of both worlds because it can easily be intended for personal or for professional use.

Till next time...x

Comments

  1. Hi Samantha, oh yes, I agree with you about Facebook. There are many people who write a post like it is a personal email and no one can read it but you. Or upload pictures of you that you wish nobody would see. I have never used Snapchat before, but you made me curious to check it out and compare with Instagram which I am also new too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week1A: Template Theme

Week 17: My Final Blog Post!

Week 14: Developing Online Advertising